Australia’s national science agency and innovation catalyst CSIRO is upgrading the communication systems on its research vessel Investigator. The 94-metre purpose-built Investigator provides blue-water research capability to the Australian scientific community and international collaborators.
Commissioned in 2014-15, the RV Investigator has actively engaged in scientific voyages ranging from the Antarctic to the tropics or “ice edge to equator”. CSIRO owns and operates Investigator for Australia’s Marine National Facility (MNF). A trusted institution and connected innovator, CSIRO is one of the largest and most multidisciplinary mission-driven research organisations in the world.
Through a request for tender (RFT), CSIRO seeks responses from suitably qualified and experienced providers for satellite, communication, and entertainment system equipment and services associated with RV Investigator.
The single-point-of- contact supplier will provide:
1. voice, data, GMDSS, and TV satellite system equipment and services including airtime; round-the-clock access to effective remote support; on-site support; installation; repairs; upgrades; maintenance; and an in-house capability of expert engineering advice across the full lifecycle of systems
2. an option to replace the existing end-of-life VSAT antenna system
3. an option to provide an IP-based TV distribution system
4. other satellite, communication, and entertainment systems equipment and services, as required, throughout the life of the contract.
CSIRO prefers suppliers with strong Australian-based in-house expertise. It requires tenderers to provide options and pricing for an initial 2-year period. The agreement will include the following services.
1. Provision of a telephone, email, and out-of-band management remote support service that incorporates an issue-tracking system.
2. Centralised, itemised monthly billing for all services with separate invoices for different currencies and with attached data usage and voice-call logs.
3. On-site support, preventive maintenance, and service for RV Investigator’s communication systems and their components.
4. Support for the airtime and voice services associated with each of RV Investigator’s communication systems.
5. Management of any repairs associated with RV Investigator’s communication systems, including dealing with manufacturers where required and covering items both in and out of warranty.
The evaluation process will identify and select the tenderer/s that represents the best value for money to CSIRO. The process evaluates tenders against the following criteria listed in order of relative importance.
2. Capacity and Experience
3. Quality Management
CSIRO’s stated timeframe for delivery is “potential to commence 6 August 2024”.
The closing time and date for responses is 2pm ACT local time on Monday 4 March 2024.